Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Thrifter's Anonymous???

Wow, I was looking thru some blog sites today and came across tons of them dedicated to collecting vintage items.  The one that caught my eye the most was called “The Pyrex Collective”.  Being a fine connoisseur of Pyrex for many years now, I felt a strong urge to join them, it was like a magnetic pulling of something deep within………..in fact it made me think of the Cyborg Collective in the Star Trek, The Next Generation shows and I could hear  them saying  “ Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated I do not know why vintage things seem to interest me so much, but I have to admit it has a deep rooted hold on me and on most weekends you will find me at a yard sale, flea market or thrift store.   I have been told many times that I am “addicted” or “selfish” for wanting to pursue this hobby, until these people need something and then I’m the one they call to find something cheap for them.  It has made me think that for years something must be wrong with me if it “bothers” other people that I collect this sort of stuff.  But after today seeing that so many other people also enjoy this hobby, I finally don’t feel so alone!   Everyone has something that makes them happy, for my husband it is riding horses.  I have tried it and for some odd reason it scares the beegeezes out of me, but on odd occasion I do go with him. Personally, when I spend money for something, I want to come home with something that I can put on a shelf or display……….with horses, you put money in one end and rake up and throw away what it produces out the other end…..sorry but NOT for me.  Don’t get me wrong, they are beautiful animals and I love to look at them and pet them and take pictures and have them in my back yard. Life is all about finding happiness.  For me, that is achieved with old 25 cent treasures found at garage sales and for my husband it is achieved by mountains, horseshoes and hay bales. Yes, my “collections” or as he calls it “junk” does get on his nerves, but he isn’t perfect either (if I can only convince him of that).  He tells me all the time that he is going to back my car up to the door and load it full of stuff and haul it off, but the only thing he better put in my car is GAS.  So someday, the kids will have one HECK of an Estate sale and in the meantime they can grow a lot of corn in the back yard next to the barn.  But until then, I think I am going to borrow the title of a blog I saw and turn it into a picture book and an album on my Facebook page, the title is: “Things My Husband Hates, But Makes Me Happy”.

No comments:

Post a Comment